Friday, October 21, 2011

Baby Girl Turns 5

The monster at the end of this book [Book]Today, my youngest moppet turns 5 years-old! I really can't believe it! It seems like only yesterday that she was born-yet, at the same time, that she has been in our family always! (Isn't it funny how that works?)

Five seems so much older than four, and I am really having a hard time accepting it! Not only for Baby Girl, but for our entire family. As much as I have resisted it, our family has turned a page. I feel a little like Grover in "The Monster at the End of This Book."  I, too, have tried rope, nails, and bricklaying as means of preventing the pages from being turned!  

By virtue of being the youngest of a large family, Baby Girl has been a "baby" for longer than any of her siblings. When First Born was 5, he was practically driving the car and doing our taxes, Oldest Daughter was putting laundry away when she was 4 and Middle Daughter was making pancakes at age 3. The next two changed their own diapers, mixed their own formula and read themselves bedtime stories. But not Baby Girl. I have learned that children don't go to college with diapers and pacifiers (well, usually) and that there is no need to rush things-it goes too fast as it is! I have also confirmed a long held belief that being the youngest rules!

Lately, when I look at the landscape of our family, I hardly recognize it! I grudgingly acknowledge that we are no longer a family with children that are "free with the price of admission". As we celebrate Baby Girl's 5th birthday, (and she no longer lets me buckle her in to the infant seat on the top of the carts at Target) I am starting to accept, even look forward to, the next page in our book!


                                     


1 comment:

  1. She is so cute! Wish my sweet girl a happy Birthday. xoxo

    ReplyDelete