Monday, August 6, 2012

Jackson Pollock Appreciation Day!

Saturday I woke up in the mood for some big, fabulous, messy, artistic fun. I envisioned an unbridled, no-holds-barred, painting fest-a la' Jackson Pollock! And then...I had a vision of an unbridled, no-holds-barred, painting fest-a la' Farrah Fawcett! Before I let the second vision eclipse the first, I told the moppets my plan! (I do this thing when I am a little apprehensive to dive into an idea, I say it out loud, in front of witnesses-witnesses that have the potential to be very annoying if I don't follow through!) So, it was official, our very own Jackson Pollock appreciation day was born!

Although I don't believe that art can be "wrong"- I do believe it can be ugly. In order to tip the odds in favor of having an eye-pleasing object d'art,at the end of the day, I bought three canvases-2 for practicing and one that would become our "masterpiece" (or at the very least-practice canvas number 3!) Additionally, I chose paint colors that (in my opinion) would work well together and were pleasing to me! But most importantly, I also chose to remain consistently vague about what we would do with our masterpieces after we finished-just in case.

The only real "rule" I declared was that we couldn't touch the canvas. We could use any tool or style as long as there was no contact with the surface of the artwork!  In the beginning there was a definite food fight mentality, but after a few hits, because there weren't any rules forbidding it, the appeal of splattering, sloshing and throwing paint at each other quickly waned and the desire to create art took hold!


I must admit that I had to let go some minor control issues and go with the flow, but once I did, we all had a blast! Perhaps celebrating abstract impressionism a few days before your cousin's wedding isn't the best timing (sorry, Andrew-Baby Girl still has some really stubborn red paint in her hair!) but what a small price to pay for such an awesome experience and life-long memory!





No comments:

Post a Comment