Thursday, December 8, 2011

Missing Hart


Today is the day. The day I dread each year. I wake up and feel heavy, gray, melancholy. It's not like some days, when you wake-up feeling fine and enjoy a few blissful, unaware moments before sadness washes over you. Today, there is no space between waking and feeling. I am sad today, I miss my baby. I just do. The things that make me grateful, and joyful when I think about Hart every other day of the year, just make me sad today.

Seven years ago today, my heart was shattered. I cannot even begin to describe the pain. Honestly, I was totally caught off-guard by the depth of the agony. I was prepared for Hart to die. I was prepared to be sad. We knew that he was going to live an abbreviated life. I had done everything that everyone (from experts to well-meaning "folks") told me to do in order to prepare for his death. Steadfast husband and I made a deal that we would live each day of his life without regret. We didn't want to have "should haves" or "would haves" cloud Hart's memory or create needless guilt. We tried to eliminate everything that makes death so, well- devastating. I was convinced that if the only thing I had to mourn was the days I would not have with my son, I could deal with it. I thought if my grief was pure sadness, not mired with regret and anger, that I would have an easier time losing Hart. But, there is no such thing. Losing your child is just ... indescribable.

There are two important things I learned when Hart died. First, there is no way to make the loss of a loved one easier-grief is all consuming-and for the person experiencing it, it's the worst grief there is. You cannot know the grief you do not feel, there really is no, "it could be worse" (despite the myriad of platitudes you hear)-when it comes to grieving, because it is the worst. You don't stop in the middle of your anguish and think, what a relief, I am only experiencing 82% grief-phew!

I also learned that it's easier to be angry than sad. When you are sad, you feel like the victim, as though you have no control over your own emotion. You cannot "work it out" or "set it aside" or "agree to disagree". You are in a vortex of darkness, at its mercy, waiting for it to tire of you and thrust you back into the light. When you are angry, you feel some power over your situation-a sense of control. You can work it out, resolve the situation, or take action. When Hart died, I longed for a reason to be angry, a cause to embrace, a wrong to make right. But there wasn't anything to fight against, I was just sad and had to find the momentum to make it through the day.

People told me, to just keep moving forward, continue putting one foot in front of the other, it will get better. And it is true, it does get "better", but there were so many days that I felt like I was on a treadmill, and no matter how hard I tried, I would be at the same spot at the end of the day that I was at the beginning. And to be honest, often, that felt like an enormous accomplishment.

Since that day, seven years ago, when my heart shattered, it has mended-or at least come back together. But it's not like in a cartoon, it hasn't been suddenly rejuvenated and made whole again-throbbing with renewal. It feels more like it has been scotch-taped together. The parts war-torn and scarred, drifted back together over time. Most of it is held together like taped Saran wrap-it may not look good, but it is strong, secure, and protects-but there are parts that are like sandcastles-they look lovely, but are easily knocked down and the tape just doesn't stick very well.

So, on December 8 each year, I honor my sadness. I wallow in my grief. I miss my son and for one day each year, I allow myself to let the sadness of my loss outweigh everything else.


The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears. ~John Vance Cheney

3 comments:

  1. Much love to you all today and a big hug to you especially! xoxo, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't feel another's pain or hurt or sadness. Conversely we can't feel another's joy or happiness or love. We can only relate.

    I'll cry at a TV commercial, particularly the ones that involve fathers and young daughters, because I relate. But I can't relate when I see someone crying because Kim's wedding didn't workout, like that was a surprise.

    However I will always relate to Hart and to the feelings expressed. Are mine the same? Maybe, but probably not, because I'm feeling the loss as his "Poppy". It may be more selfish but I relate to him through my relationships with my other grandchildren. I relate every Christmas when we hang our Hart ornament on the Christmas (NOT HOLIDAY) tree. I cry and wonder and pray and cry some more for him. And I wonder what he would look like but I know he'd fit right in. I wonder about his personality and I know he'd fight, and love, and scream and cry and yes, he'd fit right in. But one thing I don't wonder about is the love Hart received. Some people may live to be 90 but won't receive as much love as he did in his short time on earth. I can relate to all of that.

    The one thing I do know first hand and thankfully few people can relate to is a different kind of heart hurt. It's the hurt I get from knowing and seeing MY daughter go through it all. No matter how wonderful she is, or that it helped mold her into who she is today I don't wish it on anyone. I know we can't feel her hurt but no one can feel mine, we can just relate. Maybe that's why we call family our relations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. it comes every year, I just keep thinking it won't catch me off guard and it does. every time.

    thinking about you and praying for you all today. sending love and peace &wishing I could be there with you. xoxo ce2w

    ReplyDelete