Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Please forgive me, I'm having a moment...

Most mornings I wake up and turn on The Today Show. Oftentimes the news makes me sad, annoyed, uneasy or flabbergasted- I don't really love that, but The Today Show serves as my daily calibrator (that plus a yummy cup of coffee and being the only one awake!) which I really do love/need.

As I am watching, I often wonder, "what kind of crazy train did these people bungee jump off of?" (Then I start singing Crazy in my head-the Seal version, not the Alanis Morissette one). I envision them as babies, in the loving arms of their mamas and papas, stockings pulled firmly over their itty, bitty heads to conceal their little baby identities, and think how did they get from there to here? (And, really, shouldn't the stockings have been a red flag?)

 ©Anna Bond
But then I think that's ridiculous and of course there are bank robbers and other assorted bad persons who were held in loving arms. So then I decide that they must not have realized that someone in this world thought they were the cat’s pajamas. (Because how could you be a bad guy if you knew someone thought you were the cat's pajamas, right?) I start singing Feed the World, because I heart Sir Bob Geldolf and I know the words to that song. Oops. No I don't. So I sing “The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire-we don't need no water, let the,” but I stop because I remember that I have children in my house-sleeping children and I need to be quiet or I can kiss my sweet, sweet solitude goodbye.

And yes, it really is exhausting being me!

Then I get all sad thinking that perhaps they weren't held in loving arms. Maybe that's how they got from there to here-at which point I start humming "We are the World" because I think all babies should be held in loving arms and it makes my heart ache to think otherwise. And because “We are the World” just feels right.

This morning as I was meandering down this mental flowchart, enjoying my coffee and the house party in my head, I started wondering if the moppets know how amazing, kind, and rockstar-ish I think they are. Hand on chin, finger tapping cheek, eyes looking upward-Things that make you go hmm... (Nope, don't know the words to that song either.)


So I've decided to share some things that that blow my mind (in a good way) about my children over the next couple of weeks! Because everyone should know that there is someone in the world who believes they hung the moon!

No comments:

Post a Comment