Sunday, November 6, 2022

The Grieving Season

It’s my grieving season. This time of year always feels heavy, sentimental, reflective, important. Some years the feelings creep in slowly and unevenly. Some years, like a wrecking ball, fast and all at once. But always the grief precedes thought, the feelings come before the realization. This year was a creeping year until it wasn’t. Seemingly out of the blue, the ball dropped. 

It has been a year filled with trying to support my children as they navigate grief. My beloved daughter-in-law lost her mother earlier in the year and shortly after, she and Oldest Son suffered a devastating pregnancy loss. Oldest Daughter lost a treasured friend, mentor and purveyor of unconditional love and support. And Baby Girl lost a beloved teacher and fierce advocate. As I held hands and hearts, cried and dried tears, I worked to not allow my grief to seep into theirs.

While it felt like the right and obvious thing to do, I realized it wasn’t the selfless act of love I believed it to be. Trying to dodge my grief was not only ineffective, it took so much effort, I was distracted from being who my children needed me to be. I was reminded that I can’t predict what will open the spigot of grief, but I can make plans for coping and manage expectations.  

When my oldest daughter lost her beloved friend, someone dear to all of us, I knew I needed to be there for her, and wanted to be by her side as we honored the memory of someone who loved her like his own. 


But I was scared. Scared that I wouldn’t be able to find the words to comfort her. Scared that I would be inappropriately emotional, unemotional or completely disconnected. Scared that I would myopically, hyper-focus on my grief or deny my grief altogether. 


I honestly didn’t know how I would feel and react, but I did know not acknowledging these feelings would be a mistake. Before the memorial, I told her, “I’m here to support you, but grief comes before thought and I need you to know that I don’t know when and how it will manifest. I may not be 100% who you need me to be, when you need it, but that’s my goal. And I’m here for you and with you, and I always will be.” 


And just saying those words aloud helped. I reclaimed a little power from grief's grasp and faced the fear of disappointing my girl. It was very liberating. The memorial service was beautiful and moving and filled with so much love. And the ability to be fully present felt so much better than playing hide and seek with grief.


I will never grieve the way I once did. I'm incapable of it. I don’t have the same tools I once had, but I've gained some new ones. In some ways, I feel better prepared, in some ways just differently equipped. But I continue to strive to learn more and do better--for myself, but more importantly for those I love.


Grief is fickle. Grief is hard. Grief is ever-changing. Grief never ends. Everyone’s grief is unique. The only universal truth I’ve found in grief is doesn't wait. So, this year, as my grief season begins, I'm remembering that grief will lead, but I don't have to follow blindly.

No comments:

Post a Comment