Wednesday, November 30, 2022

The Long of It

I keep telling myself, everything is going to be fine. I’m sure she’s fine. Then the anxiety creeps in, softly at first, but quickly crescendoing into a cacophony of fears. I take a walk, go for a run, take a bath. Calm returns. I know it’s absurd. I know chances are, it's nothing…. and still, before long, the cycle begins again.

This time of year I am acutely aware of life and death. I know, even though we shouldn’t, sometimes parents have to bury their children. Would I be this emotional any other time of year? I don’t really know, but I do know, I’m really raw this time of year and unfortunately, it's this time of year. 

On top of navigating Baby Girl’s concussion protocols and managing the treatments, appointments, and medications, worrying over the results of the looming MRI has become the tipping point for all of us.

The concussed version of Baby Girl is not my favorite version. All the symptoms she’s experiencing add up to a grumpy, less patient, indecisive, weighed down version of the girl I know. The less like herself she becomes, she becomes even less like herself and the more depressed it makes her. The neurologist told her, “Of course you’re depressed, the concussion is preventing you from being you.” (Narrator-“It was precisely at this moment the mother fell in love with the compassionate, genius who is going to help her baby heal.”) 

Anyway, I could deal with not best version of BG better if I didn't have the nagging unknown of the other thing going on in her brain making me grumpy, less patient, indecisive, and weighed down. It could be nothing, chances are it's nothing. I’m an impatient, information gatherer-I can’t help but search for information. I’ve read more medical papers over the last few days than I can count (and am convinced the ones that you can only “access through your institution” are where the real answers lie), have read many anecdotal cases, and have watched countless brain-side (is that a thing?) TikToks. It’s not great-I know it’s not great. But I can't help myself, I've got to know more. I don’t want to know, but I don’t not want to know. I need to know all the possibilities. 

I keep telling myself odds are in our favor, odds are it’s nothing, of course it’s nothing. But see, that’s what’s tripping me up. I’ve played those odds before. I’ve lost to those odds. Is that why I can’t pull myself together? Is that why I keep searching and reading and watching? When you know, first hand, the other side of the statistics, can you never put faith in "odds” even when they’re in your favor?

In the mean time, lack of sleep is leading to frayed nerves, short tempers and regretful text messaging-including, but sadly, not limited to, an embarrassing voice text of me singing my own versions of “Chu-Chi Face” (from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang), “Hush Little Coco, Don’t Be Mad, and “Dear Winter” (AJR) to calm her disrupted, stormy sleep (another concussion symptom), on Baby Girls phone, to Baby Girl’s friend, which I thought I deleted, but sent instead. Lessons learned-sleep medicine can be tricky, don’t leave phones in the middle of the bed, don’t ever try to delete, send, read texts without your glasses. 
While we wait, I will continue to pray, and read and run and bathe, take pictures of my sleeping Baby Girl, hold her hand, try to keep myself from doom scrolling and place my faith in hope and maybe the odds.

2 comments:

  1. love you- BG has the best, most loving, caring mama in the whole wide world ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you❤️

    ReplyDelete