Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tales of a Fourth Grade Everything

There are times in my (motherhood) life, that things just, well, are. I don't mean "it is what it is" are, I mean the state of being that exists when there are no extreme highs, no devastating lows. With six children, a myriad of pets, and a steadfast husband (that, let's be honest, is only steadfast most of the time) that doesn't occur very often. But at this moment, this very second in time, I am experiencing that phenomenon! It is really a cause for celebration. It is also Sunday night and most of the moppets are working their way to sleepy town! (Thank you, school night). But I'll take it when I can get it!

In the absence of extinguishing fires, comforting sad hearts, shoring-up fragile constitutions, I have the opportunity to do a bit of homework that was assigned to me by my son's fourth grade teacher. I am supposed to write him a letter that will be read in front of the class. The letter is supposed to tell him how I feel about him and include funny stories about his childhood (so far). I would guess telling about him wearing his sisters "twirly dress" until he was three is not a story he would want me to share. Fourth graders can be so judgemental! So I decided the teacher's idea of funny stories and my idea of funny stories are probably quite different and in an effort to not embarrass my son, I have chosen to go with endearing as a theme for his letter. I must make it clear, I completely believe in embarrassing my children, but only when the time is right, and when I can be there to enjoy it. He is still a little young for the full force of intentional parental embarrassment, and hasn't behaved in a way that warrants it yet!


So here is my letter to my sweet little boy.

Dear sweet fourth grader,
       You are an amazing person. You are sunshine and joy and you spread your light wherever you go. You embrace your life so completely. It is awesome to watch the exuberance you have for everything you do. You grab the opportunities life presents you! I still laugh when I think about you getting to sit up front at your very first Broadway show when we were in New York last spring. When the gentleman ask  if any of us wanted to use his extra ticket for a seat closer to the stage, you didn't hesitate to accept his kind offer. In my recollection, you said "I do," vaulted over the seats in front of us and were half-way down the aisle before I even registered what the man had said!  Opportunity knocks, and you swing the door wide open and say "what have you got for me today?" I love that about you!
      The first time you got on a two wheel bike, you just took off. No training wheels, no crashes, not even a wobble. Your dad was so tickled by this feat, that the next morning, he began his business meeting by telling everyone about your super bike riding skills!
      It is a joy to watch you perform on stage. It is clearly a place you feel comfortable and confident. You have such an amazing natural talent for theatre.
      You are a thoughtful brother to your siblings and make everything we do as a family much more fun. You are hysterically funny, and make us laugh a lot!
       You have creative ideas and creative solutions to problems. It is through your eyes that I see things for the first time again. What a gift that is to me! You are very smart and  have a wonderful stick-to-it-iveness, you work at something until you get it right. That is an example to all of us. You find joy and follow your passions. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to have you for my son! We are blessed to have you as a part of our family!

We love you like crazy,
your adoring family

2 comments:

  1. Okaaaay - thanks for the awesome cry. (((sniff, sniff))) I hope you print that out for him to read every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO BEAUTIFUL! I had to wipe my eyes because the tears were blocking my vision. You are such a wonderful mom. What a beautiful gift you have given Felix. A gift he will cherish for a life time.

    ReplyDelete