Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Love in Verse

During my culling of love and remembrance for Hart's 10th Birthday, I received this beautiful letter in the mail (the USPS delivered kind) from Steadfast Husband's lovely Grandmother.

Dear Ones,
Hoping all's going well for you and yours.
As I am not into videos, Ipads, tweets and such, I'll respond in my own way.
I have had this verse for many years; while the tense is wrong, the words are so true. Hoping you find meaning in it for you.
                                  I love you so,
                                        Grandma


God's Child and Yours -Unknown

"I'll lend you for a little time
A child of mine" He said - 
For you to love the while he lives 
and mourn for when he's dead. 
It may be six or seven years 
or twenty two or three 
but will you, till I call him back, 
take care of him for me?

He'll bring his charms to gladden you 
and, should his stay be brief, 
you'll have his lovely memories 
as solace for his grief. 
I cannot promise he will stay, 
since all from earth return 
but, there are lessons taught down here, 
I want this child to learn.

I've looked the wide world over, 
in search of teachers true, 
and from the throngs that crowd life's lane 
I have decided you. 
Now will you give him all your love, 
not think the labor vain, 
nor hate me when I come to call
to take him back again?

I fancy that I heard them say, 
"Dear Lord Thy Will Be Done" 
for all the joy this child will bring 
the risk of grief we'll run. 
We'll shelter him with tenderness, 
we'll love him while we may, 
and for the happiness we've known 
forever grateful stay. 
And should thy Angels call for him 
much sooner than we planned, 
we'll brave the bitter grief that came 
and try to understand.



No comments:

Post a Comment