Monday, December 8, 2014

Dear Hart....Love, Dad

I have a confession. When I read Steadfast Husband's 1st contribution to the Hart 10th Birthday love and memories fest, I (kindly/not kindly) asked him to try again. It was lovely, but felt sterile. After several obnoxious attempts, I finally stumbled onto the words that articulated what I was trying to say.*

*Thank you dear IU creative writing professor who told me that a good piece of writing is well-written, but a great piece of writing has a little piece of your soul in it. Not your "soul", but a piece of you that once put out there, cannot ever be retrieved.

Here's S.H. moving letter and a piece of his beautiful soul!


Dear Hart,
   I have been struggling to write this letter, wanting it to be as eloquent and meaningful as your life was.  My heart knows perfectly what to say, I am just having trouble putting into words the joy and the blessings as I sit here missing you.  I start daydreaming about who you would have grown up to be, how you would have continued to impact the world around you, and what we would have done together.  In the end, the “you” that I do know -has had and continues to have, more impact than my wildest daydreams.  I know you as the shining light that God provided to us, the baby with the power to bring people together, and the hero who defied odds for 24 days in order to touch as many souls as possible.
   I live each day trying to make it better than yesterday. My heart feels full when helping others, and empty when I am unable. My inability to "cure" you or to come up with a solution to give you a long, healthy life was very hard to accept. I had to take a leap of faith, relying on others for information, guidance, and support. I had to trust God, that he had a plan and that He would hold and protect you and our family.
   I have finally come to the realization that you were not here to be taken care of, rather you came to take care of us. I feel like you are still watching over our family. I feel you are with me on a daily basis. I feel like there are moments that you are so acutely with me that I relive moments we had together and experience new moments together. 
   I can’t help but envision you as the ten year old you would be today. There are moments when I see children your age and feel like I've been given a gift. An opportunity to see and enjoy in real life what we missed out on as proud parents, siblings, family, and friends. Whether it is an organized event or just seeing a father and child playing together, I feel those moments on a deep and personal level. 
   You should know as well as anyone, that I love babies. Now my love for babies envelopes my love for you. Having the opportunity to cradle someone else's little one enables me to be with you, my own angel again. These are the most special and meaningful moments for me. I am overcome with an incomparable peace and joy.
   I am blessed each time I experience any one of these moments! I am surrounded by these treasures and nuggets of time with you. I have seen the effect your life has had on others and heard stories of how it continues to do so. I am so proud of you son, for what you have achieved and what I know is yet to come. You have set a high bar for impacting the world and although it is one that I may never reach, I will always enjoy trying. For it is through this journey that I feel closer to you, it is by witnessing your greatness that I am encouraged to be my best.

                                                                             I love you always, 
                                                                                      Dad


No comments:

Post a Comment