Tuesday, November 12, 2019

The Soundtrack of my Soul-A Mixed Tape


While I was pregnant with Hart, I would go for long, aimless drives. I would turn the music up full blast and drive and drive, trying to outrun my thoughts. While I could never quite escape my introspection, the drives did bring some comfort. Maybe because, while the rest of my life was completely beyond my control, when I was driving, I was in control. So, when it came time to plan the post funeral reception line, I wanted to play the songs that had brought me comfort (or at least distraction). Here are a few of the songs that played as we thanked everyone who came to celebrate Hart's life.  
Accidentally in Love-Counting Crows
All For You-Sister Hazel
  Angel Mine-Cowboy Junkies 
Camera One-Josh Joplin Group
Everything Falls Apart-Dog's Eye View
Everywhere-Michelle Branch
Follow You Follow Me-Genesis
Fool in the Rain-Led Zeppelin
Hanging by a Moment-Lifehouse
Hear You Me-Jimmy Eat World
Hemorrhage (in my hands) (acoustic)-Fuel
I Bid You Goodnight-Aaron Neville
I Got You Babe-Sonny & Cher
Jesus Loves Me-Aaron Neville
Save Tonight-Eagle Eye Cherry
The Boys of Summer-The Ataris
This Little Light of Mine-James A Smith
You Are My Sunshine-Norman Blake


We let the moppets choose most of the songs for the funeral. 
Including:
Here I Am, Lord-Dan Shutte
I Danced in the Morning (Lord of the Dance)-Sydney Carter
Amazing Grace-John Newton
O Come, O Come Emmanuel-John Mason Neale (translated by)
What Child is This?-William Chatterton Dix




No comments:

Post a Comment